Hey all! What’s up? Just here to share one of my favourite recipes with you all. I like to make this particular dish when I’m feeling kind of lazy and in need of comfort food. It’s very filling, but also not too heavy! I’m not going to call it pho because it definitely doesn’t fit the traditional pho recipe mold, but it’s certainly derivative of it. Here goes.
Vegan Pho-ish Soup
1/2 cup brocoli
1-2 cups kale
1/2 cup chopped or quartered cremini mushrooms
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup shredded carrot (I like to take a potato peeler to a full carrot)
6-8 Cups pho broth, or vegetable broth (I used powdered veggie broth and it came out delicious!)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 standard package of flat rice noodles
1/4 tablespoon pepper
Piri piri oil and/or spice
1/2 teaspoon thyme
Vegetable or Olive oil
1 Cinnamon stick
2 small ginger root pieces
- Chop all vegetables into desired sizes – I like to cut my onions into straight slices. Before frying vegetables, fill large pot with broth and turn on high heat.
- Toss all vegetables except for carrot into a large pan on high heat with oil of your preference. I used vegetable oil. Cook until the kale shrinks, then reduce to lowest heat. Season with pepper, piri piri, and thyme.
- While the vegetables cook, add flavour to the broth. Add cinnamon stick, ginger roots, lemon juice, and soy sauce. Toss in the shredded carrot.
- In a separate pot, boil the rice noodles on high until soft – 3-4 minutes. They cook very quickly! Remove as soon as they’re cooked, and place into a separate bowl. This is optional – you can cook the noodles in the broth, but they may come out soggier.
- Once all the ingredients are cooked, combine and serve!
That’s it! Let me know what you think of this recipe and if you have any tweaks – it’s one of my favourites! 🙂