Hey all! How’s everyone doing?
Today, I want to share one of my very favourite recipes with you – my tofu scramble. Full disclosure, eggs have been one of the hardest animal products for me to give up; I grew up eating them most days, I have fond memories of my grandmother making them for me everyday when I was very young, and that habit followed me into my university life. But when I found out the atrocities that go on in egg farms, I decided I had to stop. It’s been very difficult, and at times my motivation wavers, but finding delicious alternatives is what keeps me dedicated. Now, I didn’t invent this recipe from the ground up – it’s more like a mash up of many others I’ve encountered. This was one of the very first recipes I tried as a vegan alternative, and while it’s not quite the same as a sunny side up eggs, it pretty much satisfies my craving for scrambled eggs or egg sandwiches. Tofu Scramble
1 package of extra firm tofu
vegetable broth / vegetable broth powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 -1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup water
1-2 teaspoons vegan becel or other vegan margarine
fresh basil, parsley, thyme to taste (optional, fresh is best)
- To start, crumble up the tofu into a pan in small pieces and coat with olive oil. Set to low – medium; I have a gas stove so my low setting can be a bit higher than other stovetops.
- Add garlic and onion powder, salt, pepper, herbs, lemon juice, and turmeric. Toss to coat – ensure all tofu is covered in turmeric.
- Once the tofu has cooked slightly, add 1 teaspoon of vegetable broth powder with the water, or 1/2 cup vegetable broth. Mix. Set to medium high to boil until the tofu absorbs the broth.
- Drop one tablespoon of margarine into the pan and mix until melted.
- Once the tofu is cooked to your liking, remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
You can eat the tofu by itself, on a sandwich, or make it into ‘egg’ salad! I’ve tried every one and they all work. My personal favourite is an ‘egg’ salad sandwich. Enjoy!! Let me know what you think if you try it.